Wednesday, March 7, 2012

After replacing a steering column in a Cadillac, why won't it start?

Everything is connected and all lights on the instrument panel come on. The security light is on. Do I need to re-ohm the key?After replacing a steering column in a Cadillac, why won't it start?I'm assuming you replaced the column with a used one. Did you also switch the lock cylinder, or are you trying to start it with the key from the donor column? If you have the key with the resistor pellet you'll either need to put the original lock cylinder in or take both keys to a GM dealer and have them cut a new key with the same resistance as your old one.After replacing a steering column in a Cadillac, why won't it start?Sounds like it may be one of those passkey 2 systems. You may have missed those wires. Stereo shops can usually fix this issue, because they often install aftermarket remote start, and the only way I know of to get around the system is to either permanently install a matching resistor or install some kind of bypass box. I had them do it on a 1996 Monte Carlo, I think it was like $30, installed. Took care of it killing the engine when I would remotely start it, sounds to me like that may take care of your issue.
  • raclette
  • argus
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment